Did you feel refreshed and full of energy this morning? And what about yesterday? Or the day before yesterday? If you feel tired and exhausted from the very morning and have to gather all your strength just to get out of bed day after day, it is not just a bad day. It looks like the problem is much more serious. Constant tiredness is a frequent sign of burnout.
What is burnout?
In simple words, it is a reaction of an organism to physical or (and) psychological overload followed by multiple and frequent stresses and lack of sleep and rest.
Here are some of the symptoms, which can point at this condition:
- extreme and constant tiredness;
- a feeling that you cannot cope with your work, household duties, or other tasks no matter how hard you strive;
- a significant decrease in productivity at work and in daily life;
- apathy about non-work activities, like spending time with your family or meeting friends;
- delaying professional tasks or other duties all the time;
- cognitive issues like difficulties in concentrating;
- varied physical signs: frequent headaches, breathing shortness, high heart rate, difficulties in sleeping, etc.
Remember that this problem will not go away on its own. And the longer you ignore it, the more serious are the consequences. Burnout may transform into real depression with a whole bunch of accompanying issues, like heart diseases, increased blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, immunity suppression, insomnia.
What is the most effective solution to burnout?
First of all, you must understand that this problem cannot be solved within a couple of days. As a rule, your body has been being exposed to harmful factors such as stress, overload, and sleep deprivation for a significant period of time. So, it will take a long time to recover. Thus, to stop the situation from getting worse, it is advisable to take emergency measures – to turn to your physician and ask him to recommend some rejuvenating herbal supplement or even antidepressant (if that is needed). The main problem is that such products cost money. And, in many cases, their prices are rather expensive. Yet, you should never try to economize on your health as that may lead to more serious problems and, consequently, bigger expenses. Visit Happy family store and you will see that prices there are at least two times cheaper than at drugstores in your city.
What else can you do to help your organism return to a normal state?
Obviously, the main recommendation is to cut your working hours and to get more quality rest. Here are some tips:
- Leave your office on time.
- Do not take the work home.
- Refrain from reading business emails at home or on your way home.
- Do not take calls from work in the evening, on weekends, and on vacations.
- If your colleagues or the management of your company do not understand the word “No” and keep on calling or texting you beyond your work hours, just turn off your phone.
- Do you want to find out how much of your free time you spend on work affairs? Note it down throughout a week and then calculate the sum.
- Take those paid days off, which are granted to every employee by the law.
- If you feel bad, stay at home, and take a sick day. Do not feel guilty about that. Your colleagues will cope without you.
- Think over the idea of working from home ― at least a couple of days per week. Discuss that with your boss. That will allow you to save plenty of time on unnecessary trips.
- If you feel overloaded with household routines, involve your spouse and kids in it. It is absolutely OK to share duties. Besides, you can delegate some household work to a cleaner. If your budget is limited, you can use such services once a week or once a month only. Also, do not forget that there is a huge range of devices and tools, which can do some homework instead of you.
- Get no less than 7 hours of sleep every day.
- Make your non-work life active and filled with positive emotions. When you are burnt out, it may seem to you that the only thing you need is to spend as much time in bed or on the sofa as you can. But what you really need is new impressions and support from your dear people. So, pull yourself together and get out to a family dinner or to a party with friends.
- Add some relaxing practices. For example, you can try yoga, massage, or a warm bath with lots of foam.
- Pay more attention to sports. Certainly, exhaustive workouts are not for you at the moment. But a short run at a comfortable pace will help you get rid of intrusive thoughts about work and unwind.
- In case you feel that you cannot cope with negative emotions and thoughts on your own, turn to a therapist. It is always better to eliminate any psychological problems at an early stage.
- If negative physical symptoms of burnout do not go away, turn to your physician for advice. There is a risk that you need some medical aid.
To sum up, if you suspect that you have burnt out, discuss that with your doctor. He will advise you on how to get back to normal life as soon as possible.
More about burnout: https://www.healthline.com/health/tips-for-identifying-and-preventing-burnout